The Most Interesting Research Topic In Sociology
Sociology analyses the attitudes of various social groups and the interrelations between the individuals within human society. It generates an interdisciplinary character of social studies. One cannot examine any tip of the society’s existence separately from psychology, philosophy or economics. Social studies produce multiple research spheres. The actual ones are education, family, marriage, crimes and sport. The matters that touch inequity in education or behaviours, generating terrorism’s menace are challenging in the nowadays’ society.
The reasons for these challenges become apparent once as it is established and understood that the subject of Sociology itself is human society and the several intricacies that come with its functioning and development.
It is the quintessential social science, coming with as many sub-fields as there are societies. That said, only a few come to mind when talking about the most important and interesting sociological research topic. After all, the end point of it all is addressing the social problems and dilemmas of society.
The sociology of education is a look at how public institutions and individual experiences affect the outcome of education. Recent strides have been made into this field in a bid to incorporate private education, adult education, further education, continuing education, vocational education, and their effects on the education in general as well as the development of a society. What makes this particular field interesting is the sheer depth of it. Sociologists study: the kind of education offered; the people who receive that particular education; the problems they face, and the corresponding solutions to those problems. Sociologists also look at the impact that these aspects of education have on that particular society.
Interesting Research Topics in this field could include:
- Literacy Level
- Adult Education
- Teacher-Student Relationships
- The Method and Role of Discipline in Education
- Vocational Education or Training
- Education and Religion
- Gender Balance and Proportions
- Variations in Educational Practices
- Public vs. Private Education
- Any of the above could be an interesting topic of research in the field of education.
The family is the rightly defined as the first experience of society that a human being comes in contact with. In many ways it may be the most effective school as far as society is concerned. Sociologists study aspects such as domestic relationships, domestic violence, childhood and adolescence among other things.
Interesting research topics in this Field include:
- Family Structure
- Marriage Customs
- Parenting Styles
- Discipline within the Family
- Domestic and Spousal Abuse: Child beating, Wife Beating, Husband Baiting etc.
- Financial Responsibilities within the Family Setup
- Divorce and Effects
- Work and the Role of Women
This is a field that is very related to that of family. Sociology studies marriage as an institution that brings two or more individuals together. The basis and need, as well as the structure of marriage is different for different societies, making for an altogether rather interesting subject matter for research
Interesting research topics include:
- History and Customs of the Institution of Marriage
- The Role of Women after Marriage: Working wives, Schooling wives, Housewives etc.
- Divorce and Remarriage
- The Place of Children in a Marriage
- Monogamy, Polygamy and Polyandry
- The Defence of Marriage Act (DOMA) and Its Effects
- Same-sex Marriage and Its Effects across Different Societies.
The study of crime by sociologists is done in conjunction with behavioural sciences and criminal psychology. Sociologists who busy themselves in this field are primarily interested in the causes, nature, effects and solutions to crime in society.
Interesting Topics are:
- Terrorism and its Possible Causes
- Prisons and Prison Reform
- Juvenile Delinquency and Reform
- The Effect of Popular Culture on the Nature of Crime
- Crimes and Ethnicity
- Crimes and Religion
Although this is a relatively new branch of sociology, it is by no means unimportant. The role and influence of sport on society, and the interactions therein are one of the strongest and most significant aspects of social study. Sociologists look at the effects of sports on an individual, as well as on society as a whole.
Interesting topics to look at include:
- Effects of Sports and Relationships
- Sports and Personal Development
- Gender Dynamics within Sports
- Sports and its Role in Education
- Sports and the Effect on Culture
- Sports and Politics/Religion/Economy
All the above provide interesting topics to dive into. You can start right away with the use of surveys, personal interviews, phone conversations, or just plain old observation. No matter the topic chosen, there is a lot you are bound to discover once you begin.
The article is provided by Edusson (academic writing advisory service)